The Criminal Investigation Section is commanded by Lieutenant Tim Payne and Sergeant BT Brown. It is comprised of 3 functional elements within the unit:
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Financial Crimes
- Major Crimes
ResponsibilitiesThe primary responsibility of the Criminal Investigation Section is the detailed post investigation of adult focused criminal matters reported to the Lafayette Police Department. Cases are initiated, investigated, reviewed, and documented. Detectives record oral and written statements, collect evidence, and record pertinent information so that criminal cases can be submitted to the Tippecanoe County Prosecutor. When necessary, criminal arrests are made and victims are referred to appropriate agencies or services. Our goal is to present cases to the Courts that have been thoroughly and impartially investigated.
- We work closely with other law enforcement agencies, other agencies within the criminal justice system, and local business and industry.
- Our Detectives are active in the community and hold many positions with local organizations and boards.
- Detectives lecture and present training to many different community groups and businesses on a local level.
- We have provided training to organizations throughout the state as well, such as the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and the Indiana State Coroner's Conference.
- Many of our Detectives are State Certified Instructors through the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board.
- Our Investigator's have also facilitated training by bringing certified instructors here to present training. Some of these have included:
- FBI's State and Local Anti Terrorism Training (SLATT)
- Experts in the field of Crime Scene Investigations
- Related forensic specialties