On July 3rd, at approximately 5:33am, the Lafayette Police Department responded to the 1000-block of Salem St in reference to a robbery. Upon arrival, officers met with several victims involved in the incident. Officers were advised that three suspects entered their residence and demanded money. One of the suspects displayed a firearm and threatened the people inside. A physical altercation began between one suspect and one victim. Another victim was able to flee to another room to call police. All three suspects fled the residence after the fight. One victim sustained minor injuries from the altercation that did not require medical attention at the time of the report. The firearm used in the incident was recovered at the scene.
Officers were able to locate one suspect and make an arrest. Two suspects are still outstanding at this time. The below listed suspect was transported and remanded to the Tippecanoe County Jail.
Calvin Linsey McCaster (16-years-old and of Lafayette)
- Burglary While Armed with a Deadly Weapon (Level 2 Felony)
- Attempted Robbery While Armed with a Deadly Weapon (Level 3 Felony)
- Criminal Confinement with a Deadly Weapon (Level 3 Felony)
- Intimidation while Armed with a Deadly Weapon (Level 5 Felony)
- Pointing a Firearm (Level 6 Felony)
- Residential Entry (Level 6 Felony)
- Criminal Recklessness with a Deadly Weapon (Level 6 Felony)
- Carrying a Handgun without a License (A Misdemeanor)
- Battery (A Misdemeanor)
- Dangerous Possession of a Firearm by a Juvenile (A Misdemeanor)
The other two suspects are described as black males wearing red and black clothing.
This investigation is ongoing. Anybody with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call the Lafayette Police Department (807-1200) or the We-Tip Hotline (800-78-CRIME).
Lt. Brian Gossard
Community Outreach and Crime Prevention
Lafayette Police Department
The fact a person has been arrested or charged with a crime is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in a court of law.