Homeless & Community Outreach
Permanent Supportive HousingThe mission of the Permanent Supportive Housing program is to provide permanent supportive housing for the chronically homeless with a coexisting mental health or substance abuse problem.
EligibilityPersons eligible for this program are those that fall into the following categories:
- Able to function in independent rental housing with a low level of assistance
- Chronically homeless as defined by Housing and Urban Development (HUD) (homeless for the last 12 months and/or 4 episodes of homelessness in the last 3 years)
- Currently sleeping in an emergency shelter or a location not meant for human habitation
- Single persons
- Case management services
- Harm reduction model in which participation in services would not be cause for removal from program
- Program eligibility does not expire
- Rental and utility assistance
- Wrap around services, such as access to physical and mental health services, employment services, basic needs, drug and alcohol recovery services, and functional living skills training
How the Program Works
- Participants must engage in a lease with a participating landlord, paying no more than 30% of their gross monthly income for rent.
- Program makes payment to landlord to complete rental payment.
- Participants are identified via the centralized intake and assessment process at Lafayette Transitional Housing Center (LTHC). To apply, contact LTHC by phone at 765-423-4880 or in person at the Howarth Center, 615 N. 18th St., Lafayette, IN 47904.
Shelter Plus Care TeamShelter Plus Care is a collaboration between local homeless service providers, including:
- City of Lafayette
- LTHC Homeless Services
- Lafayette Urban Ministry
- Mental Health America
- Riggs Community Health Clinic
- Wabash Center
- Wabash Valley Alliance - PATH Team